In the first of our series of baking with tea called #CheffingWithAusum, we got Mumbai-based baker Sudha Rao from ‘Just Beat It Bakes’ to use one of our signature brews in a tea cake. She opted for ‘Spanish Sangria’ - a zero sugar fruit infusion with leading notes of strawberry, hibiscus and liquorice and came up with this mouth-watering fruity cake!
About the blend
Spanish Sangria is a tisane or a herbal or fruit infusion with leading notes of Hibiscus, Strawberry and Orange. It contains no caffeine, sugar, artificial sweeteners or preservatives. Give yourself a daily Vitamin boost with Strawberry, Apple and Orange. Hibiscus is a natural fighter against allergies to keep those sneezes at bay. Liquorice root can act as a soothing agent and expectorant and soothes a sore throat and calms a cough.
This zero sugar herbal infusion can be served both hot and cold or infused in a cocktail as well.
Tea-infused dessert full recipe
Mix dried fruit- 250 g (I used dried strawberries, cranberries, black currant, dried rose plums
Light brown sugar- 175 g
Ausum Spanish Sangria - 300 ml (brewed hot)
Flour- 265 g
Baking Powder- 3 tsp
Salt- 1 tsp
Cinnamon powder- ½ tsp
Zest of 2 lemons
Egg- 60 g
- Place the mixed dried fruit and sugar in a bowl. Pour the hot tea over it.
- Leave to soak overnight. If you are in a hurry, soak for two hours.
- Heat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Lightly grease and line a loaf tin with baking parchment.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon powder, lemon zest and egg until mixed through.
- Add the fruit and tea mix to the above mix. Fold until just combined, do not over mix this batter.
- Pour the batter into the lined mould. Bake at 160 degrees Celsius for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Then turn out onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely before cutting.
About the Chef
Sudha Rao is the chef behind the handcrafted bakes at ‘Just Beat It’. From cakes to cookies, pies, tarts and quiches, she is sure to make you a dessert you can’t refuse! Sudha also insists on only using premium quality ingredients and farm-fresh produce, because she believes in delivering nothing short of the finest. Whether decadent and sinful or wholesome and healthy, she will
definitely bring your cravings to life!